This policy sets out how GTC Infrastructure Limited (“we”, “our”, “us”, “GTC”) will treat any personal information which we receive from you via www.gtc-uk.co.uk (the/our “Website”), or which you otherwise provide to us or we otherwise acquire through our day-to-day business.
We are committed to safeguarding personal information. We have developed this policy because we want you to feel confident about the privacy and security of your personal information.
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 2018, the UK GDPR (as defined in the Data Protection Act 2018), and any other applicable data protection legislation (together, the “Data Protection Legislation”), the data controller is GTC Infrastructure Limited, a Guernsey registered company with registered number FC020169 and with a branch established in England and Wales under branch number BR003827 and address at Synergy House Woolpit Business Park, Bury St Edmunds, Woolpit, IP30 9UP.
What personal information do we collect and/or receive?
We may hold and use your personal information in your capacity as a customer, a representative of a customer or in any other capacity, for example, as a visitor to our Website or where your energy supplier provides us with your personal information to enable us to carry out licence obligations as an electricity network operator and gas transporter.
Using your personal information
We may use your personal information to:
- provide our services, including services available through the Website;
- run our business affairs, including internal record keeping;
- contact you where necessary about our services;
- deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you or a related party;
- provide you with access to the relevant parts of the Website;
- undertake our statutory obligations as a licenced electricity network operator and gas transporter;
- help us distribute electricity and gas safely to you;
- respond to interruptions in the electricity and gas supply to premises that you occupy;
- provide you with update and alerts, such as during power cuts or gas outages, providing you with information to help you plan;
- inform you about events that will or may interrupt the distribution of energy to you, including to give you advanced notice of planned interruptions to your electrical and gas supply (e.g. essential network maintenance);
- provide you with useful and informative advice (e.g., storm and winter readiness);
- enable compliance with statutory and legal obligations and requests; and
- contact you in an emergency,
We may also use your personal information for the purposes of statistical analysis and to help us prevent fraud.
We primarily process your personal information on the basis that it is necessary for our legitimate business interests in fulfilling the above purposes. In some instances, we will process your personal information on the basis that it is necessary for our compliance with legal obligations, to allow us to perform or enter into a contract with you, or for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.
In some instances, we may rely on your express consent to use your personal information, but we will let you know (and give you the chance to withdraw consent) if we do. If you have provided your consent to us processing your personal information in a particular way but you later change your mind, please let us know by contacting us using the details set out in the “Privacy Support” section below and/or changing your account settings on the Website (where applicable).
In particular, where you have consented at the time we collected your personal information or where we otherwise have a right to do so, we may use your personal information to let you know about our products and services that may be of interest to you and/or inform you about important changes or developments to the Website or our services, by post, telephone, mobile messaging (e.g. SMS, MMS etc.) as well as by e-mail. You may opt out of receiving marketing emails from us by following the instructions outlined in any marketing email.
Sharing your personal information
In order to provide our services, we may share your personal information with:
- our employees, officers and agents;
- our group companies, noting that GTC is part of the BUUK Infrastructure group of companies;
- your chosen electricity and gas supplier;
- our third-party business partners, suppliers, subcontractors and service providers, including credit reference agencies;
- other providers of essential services, such as gas transporters, electricity distributors or water companies, local authorities and the emergency services;
- analytics providers that assist us with improvement of our Website;
- government agencies and independent regulatory bodies, such as the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem); and
- other third parties as might be required by law, including compliance with any court order or legal obligation.
If you have consented, we may allow carefully selected third parties, including marketing and advertising companies, or our business partners (including other members of our corporate group) to contact you occasionally about services that may be of interest to you. They may contact you by telephone, post, SMS as well as by e-mail. If you change your mind about being contacted by these companies in the future, please let us know by contacting us using the details set out in the “Privacy Support” section below and/or changing your account settings on the Website (where applicable). You may also opt out of receiving any marketing communications you receive by following the instructions outlined in any of these communications.
We may also provide third parties with aggregate information about our users. You will not be personally identifiable from this aggregate information.
If our business enters into a joint venture with, purchases or is sold to or merges with another business entity, your personal information may be disclosed or transferred to the target company, our new business partners or owners or their advisors.
We may use your personal information if we are under a duty to disclose or share your information in order to comply with (and/or where we believe we are under a duty to comply with) any legal obligation; or in order to enforce our contracts; or to protect our rights, property, or safety or the rights, property, or safety of our customers, employees or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and other organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and prevention.
Your personal information may also be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the United Kingdom (“UK”). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the UK who work for us or for one of our suppliers. This includes staff engaged in, among other things, the provision of support services. We will only transfer your personal information (a) to recipients in countries that are the subject of an adequacy decision under the Data Protection Legislation; or (b) to recipients in other countries if we have provided adequate safeguards for your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Legislation (such as the contractual safeguards specified in the Data Protection Legislation).
Security and retention of your personal information
We take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to protect your personal information from unauthorised access and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage. We will only keep your personal information for as long as we reasonably require and, in any event, only for as long as Data Protection Legislation allows.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will take steps to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted over the internet, including to the Website, and any transmission is at your own risk.
Where you create or are provided with password and user details, you are responsible for keeping these confidential. You should not share your password with anyone. We will not ask you for your password (except when you log in to the Website).
Your rights and data accuracy
In certain circumstances and subject to certain exemptions, you have the following rights in relation to the personal information that we hold about you:
- the right to be informed about how we are using your personal information;
- the right to access the personal information that we hold about you;
- the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information that we hold about you;
- the right to ask us to erase or stop processing any personal information we hold about you where there is otherwise no longer a legal ground for us to hold it;
- the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information;
- the right to request that we transfer certain personal information;
- the right to withdraw consent to any consent-based processing at any time; and
- rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us using the contact details set out below. The supply of appropriate evidence of your identity may be required when exercising your rights.
Should you have any queries or complaints in relation to how we use your personal information, please contact us via the details set out below. Should you wish to take any complaints or queries further, you have the right to contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (which is the supervisory body in the UK) regarding such issues.
Please ensure that any personal information you provide us with is accurate and complete and you notify us of any changes to your personal information as soon as possible so that we can update our records.
Third party websites
The Website may contain links to other websites. These websites have their own privacy policies. We are not responsible for these websites or their privacy policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information via these websites.
Should you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, or if you have any questions or concerns about the way in which we handle your personal data, please contact us at Synergy House, Woolpit Business Park, Woolpit, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP30 9UP.; or email via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, you have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (which is the supervisory body in the UK).